Today was almost going to be a great day until I saw the news of the passing of Alan Rickman.
I was SO shocked that I couldn't believe what I was hearing and seeing because it all seemed so sudden. I had absolutely no idea he was suffering from cancer, so I had no mental preparation at all :(
It really makes me sad that people I remember from my childhood are slowly leaving :(
My favourite character in Harry Potter has always been Snape, even when he was being an ass and nobody knew his backstory. I remember I started liking him in the Prisoner of Azkaban? Back then I liked him the best because of his sassiness and sarcasm (still brings me joy this day, though if I read it now it might bring me to tears instead). And slowly as his story unfolded, I knew there was definitely more to him than what the surface showed, and in the end when his entire story was revealed, I was so impressed.
I cannot say whether he's a good or bad guy, hero or a bully. Because he's not so black and white. And that's the part I like the most about him because it's so realistic. Because in life very often there's no black and white too. There are so many so many grey areas. And he's that kind of character. He has his bad parts but also his good parts, just like all of us. This ambivalence is what makes him a truly great character.
The character is great, but what's even greater is the actor behind it, because he portrayed Snape so perfectly I could almost believe he IS Snape. That deadpanned look and voice. (I love his melty chocolate voice and accent btw) Everything about his acting is on point.
And he is such a friendly and adorable guy outside of the screen and it just amazes me how good he is at his craft. And very importantly, his personal love life is one that is super touching as well. He is an inspiration :')
Sadly I've never watched his other shows, but one character alone is enough to make him my favourite actor. I don't think anyone else will ever impress me with the kind of expertise and charisma that he has.
Always :')