<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/1327595113563465450?origin\x3dhttp://c-rossroad.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
street lights, big dreams
☁ ☁ ☁
Title: Music
Posted on: Friday, August 2, 20138:06 PM

Hi guys instead of an event-related post I decided to write a little smth about a topic instead! So I've actually been observing and reflecting about my music taste/preferences (idk why) but I realized my music preferences have changed quite a lot! Oh and my preferences are so different from my friends like jiaee (pop songs, ballads, 老歌) and jasmine (pop songs, Chinese pop, ONE DIRECTION). I think I'm closest with Jiamin in terms of music taste cos we like soft rock/alternative and we do like some same groups like Automatic Loveletter and Hey Monday etc!

In general I think I like quite a wide variety of songs, like I'm really okay with pop/Chinese pop/ballads/老歌/soft rock and all those songs that people usually listen to! Occasionally some mainstream songs would be really nice and I really like them too! :-D One genre that I really can't stand is metal and screamo though I don't think I can ever like it... And I rarely listen to Taylor Swift etc haha I find the songs rather pleasing to the ears but they're not songs that I would like. I really like songs with lyrics that are really conveying smth, or songs that have a really sick beat (in that case I can forgive meaningless lyrics). But sadly nowadays most songs are somewhere in the middle...

Ok so when I was young (like primary school young) I was so into Jolin, Jay and S.H.E!!! HAHAHA. Of course,Jay is still a huge inspiration now and I still like all of their songs even though I listen to them less regularly now. But their songs would always be a part of my memories *o*

When I was P5/6 I was in this English songs phase because I found out that listening to the radio while doing maths was really effective and makes maths more fun (LOL) so I listened to the 98.7fm every night while doing maths! And listened to 93.3fm on weekends hahaha. Back then songs like The Great Escape and Hey There Delilah was all the rage and I would get to listen to it for like a few times A NIGHT.

Then when I was in secondary school I was into Kpop! I know the term "Kpop" is like synonymous to obsessive fangirl behavior and embarrassing music now and it's like whenever someone mentions "Kpop" usually people's reaction would be like UMMM hahaha BUT I AM NOT ASHAMED OF MY PAST OK. I am actually really grateful that I got to know this beautiful korean pop culture!

I just really wanna praise Kpop because when I was young I already noticed that a lot of Jolin/S.H.E's songs use melodies composed by Korean composers and I also noticed that Korean dramas have really nice and touching soundtracks. I think they're a bunch of amazing and talented people and they just seem to have this innate musicality in them yknow??

Ok so back then I was into Kpop and listened to groups like Wonder Girls, DBSK, Big Bang etc etc and hahaha hard to imagine now they're actually considered the "older" Kpop and the seniors! So for about 2 years I was rather well-informed about the Kpop world and stuff and would always google to find out stuff that I don't know! Oh and for a period of time between P6 to Sec1 I was sorta into Jpop too because I watched some animes! Ok I didn't even realize I listened to such diverse music...

So Kpop is obviously really catchy and has a lot of techno stuff and back then I really liked that! Actually Kpop has helped me to develop my sense of rhythm because previously I only liked slow/mid-tempo songs because I found upbeat songs too noisy but after knowing Kpop I've grown to appreciate upbeat songs too :-)

And then came 2NE1 which I fell in love with because they're so edgy and after that I stopped paying much attention to Kpop because it was growing and changing too fast. It's almost scary how it has changed over these past few years! New groups were debuting and all and those who failed had to disband and some were just stuck in this industry having little fame. (it's quite sad when you think about it, the Kpop industry do seem like a ruthless industry eg slave contracts, long practice hours etc)

Slowly I started to stop listening to Kpop in general (but I still follow Allkpop and sometimes when I hear good reviews about a song I would still go and take a listen!), but I do still listen to my fav Kpop groups: Big Bang and 2NE1.

And actually, because as YG groups they're a little more hiphop (YG's origins are hiphop) and the members are more into hiphop as well, they've actually influenced me to really like hiphop now! I never thought I'd be into hiphop and rap and stuff like that but I AM, omg. I'm still not very sure which part of hiphop attracts me, because it is a very wide genre and I haven't heard enough to pass a judgement, but in general I really like the beats and the whole vibe of it.

Another genre I really like now is R&B, as well as indie! (wait indie is not really a genre...) But yeap other than hiphop, R&B is something I really like now. R&B songs usually have really cool, nice lyrics that actually makes sense AND they have a cool, chill vibe (even though no sick beats). I really like soul and jazzy music nowadays too! Here I'd like to once again point out the amazing musicality in Koreans because they have really good R&B/indie songs!!! For example Caffe Latte by Urban Zakapa and the group One Way makes really good R&B songs too :-) In fact it was Kpop that introduced me to these songs because sometimes Kpop idols would recommend them/collaborate with them or I would discover about them by chance while surfing Kpop videos. It is because of them that I found out about my preference of these songs!!! :-)

Unfortunately I still don't know much about the hiphop/R&B world but I've decided to some time after A'levels to explore and find more amazing songs B-)

Having said that, despite my preference for hiphop/R&B, I still really like rock etc and I do find techno, ballad, pop songs nice to listen to as well! And sometimes I do still listen to nice Chinese songs! Once in a while I'll revisit the Jpop songs that I used to like hehehe.

In general, I think I'm very accepting towards music (well except metal/screamo) and I listen to a wide variety of songs! I don't think I'll ever have a permanent favourite genre because everything seems like just a phase to me right now. But I'm glad I'm having these phases because it makes me more accepting towards different genres and I get to discover/enjoy all the different good music!

Ok this post has gotten so long hahaha I actually didn't want to do a post on it because my thoughts are so messy and all over the place but I kept thinking about it so I thought it'd be good for me to organize it while writing it down! I can use it as a chance to discover myself and track my development hahahahaha.

P/s: I'm really sorry if I made any grammatical/weird errors because I'm using iPod to type it out and you know how autocorrect is like... Plus I'm too lazy to re-read this chunk of words and edit so I AM SORRY IF I MADE YOU CRINGE WITH MY EMBARRASSING MISTAKES :-(


♛ ziyue

19; NUS
31 December

Facebook | Twitter
Tumblr | Instagram


♫♫♫




♥ thank you

layout: Hearts;Bleach
resources: xx